2.05.2008

Before You Eat That Paczki....THINK!

WARNING: This post is opinionated. The words expressed are from my thoughts and my thoughts alone. But I just had to say something!


As I was driving down our main highway this morning I saw a sign in front of a bar blinking: "FAT TUESDAY! COME AND CELEBRATE!"


What is it about today that gives people the right to indulge in gluttony, which is sin? It screams, "Let's live it up because soon we have to live upright and start lent, so let's have a big drunken fest with the world while we can!" This attitude sickens me, not to mention how it makes God feel. To allow such behavior every year prior to lent is a slap to our Savior's face. So hypocritical. So abusive of his grace, which Jesus freely gave to all. I was stewing in my minivan as I read and then reread the sign's message in my mind. I guess I will let The Gospel According to Matthew have the last word:


"You're hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds! You burnish the surface of your cups and bowls so they sparkle in the sun, while the insides are maggoty with your greed and gluttony. Stupid Pharisee! Scour the insides, and then the gleaming surface will mean something." Matthew 23:25-26 (The Message)