11.27.2006

** in a blink **

Time [tahym]
a period with reference to personal experience of a specified kind

“Father of the Bride” was on the other night. I have seen this movie many times. It always hits a chord with me as I put myself in Annie Bank’s shoes.

It was August 1995. Steve and I were tying loose ends in the days leading up to our wedding date. That time was significant. My name would never be my own. I was going to commit to a man for a lifetime. For better or for worse. I was leaving the comfort of my parents’ home and starting a new journey with the man God designed for me.

One night I popped in “Father of the Bride” and wept. The thought of leaving my family hit my heart. I was daddy’s little girl. I played basketball with him. My brother’s rooms were just down the hall. We are a close family. We laughed. Teased. Fought.

But the other night this movie brought a whole new meaning.

Steve and I have been married for over 11 years. We have two sons. Our lives are not our own. We learn sacrificial love daily. A new journey awaits and we anticipate what God has in store.

As I sat on the couch watching “Father of the Bride” my focus wasn’t on Annie Banks, but her parents. They were watching their child grow up and leave home. They were letting her go hoping all the years of training paid off. Soon there will be an empty bedroom in our home. Soon my boys will look at a girl and want to marry her. Soon they will leave and start their own lives.

All too soon.

Time is precious.
Time is fleeting.
Time is what we make of it.

Let us hold on to time today. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Savor it.