11.04.2006

Who do you put your trust in?

That is a good question. In light of the events surrounding Ted Haggard’s recent resignation as president of National Association of Evangelicals and dismissal as New Life Church’s senior pastor, I have been grieving not only for his family, but for the many people Haggard has influenced. The press is running wild with the recent allegations and I pray not only for truth, but for reconciliation.

I cannot deny that if I were part of their church’s board I would have come to the same resolution with what Haggard has admitted thus far. Leaders of a church need to live above reproach. Respected by a community. Live in integrity. Be an example.

However in light of this heartbreaking news I had to examine my own life. Is my sin worse than what Haggard did? Do I have hidden issues that I need to bring to the cross? I think all of us have an area in our hearts that need tweaking....plucking....weeding....

“Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” James 8-10

Sin is sin.

Adultery. Gossip. Slander. Pride. Loving money. Murder. Idolatry. Lust. Jealousy. Lying.

Call is what you want, but it is all the same: SIN!

As we pray and think about the many that will be affected by Haggard’s actions, let us remember not to put our trust in man, but the Lord. Let us prune our own hearts and rid any area that is not pleasing to Him. God redeems, renews, and forgives.

“Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.” Psalm 20:7