8.23.2007

Supermom

Yesterday I watched an episode of "Bringing Home Baby" on TLC, which we have in HD now -- bonus! These first time parents bring their daughter home from the hospital. All you parents know the emotions, fears and joy bringing your first child home can bring. The first poop. Does it look normal? The first sneeze. Is the baby sick? You question why the maternity ward nurses were so good, but you can't seem to get this child to stop crying. You know what I mean.

Getting back to this episode. So these parents bring their daughter home and hire a postnatal doula. Not like a doula that supports you throughout labor and delivery, but one that comes to your home to help with the baby. This doula made meals and took care the baby while the mom had some time to rest or even eat. She was there every step of the way to make sure all was going smoothly. Teaching the parents everything they needed to know. From nursing to changing diapers, this postnatal doula covered it. I immediately say outloud: boy I wish I had that! Could you imagine having that support throughout the day/night? Having that extra hand without asking. Holy cow!

Then I thought again. I believe all those "firsts" were confidence builders. Through all the highs and lows every circumstance created a stronger mom in me. Giving me that superhero feeling like I can conquer anything that comes my way. With any trial comes an opportunity to grow and I am glad that I came through with flying colors.

"Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way." James 1:2-4 (The Message)