9.08.2006

Where Were You 9/11?

Matthew was 10 months old and I was getting ready for bible study that morning. My parents were due over any minute. My dad planned to watch Matt while my mom and I headed to church.

I remember when I turned the television on. The exact time.

8:46am (CST)

Usually I have music playing, but what prompted me to turn on FOX News that morning I cannot remember.

There I am in the kitchen. Making coffee for my dad. Getting my things together for bible study. I hear on the news:

“It appears a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center.....”

It started to consume me.

“What was that pilot thinking? How can you miss that? UGH, not another freak jet accident! What a huge mess!”

Just shortly after 9am they announced the other tower was hit. The hair on my back was standing up. I knew at that moment this was not a freak accident. Was it another Tim McVeigh case? Terrorists? Another derange plot from a disturbed mind? My mind was cycling all the possibilities.

My parents arrive. As they are walking in I rushed to meet them at the door.

“Planes hit the World Trade Centers. BOTH! Look!”

We watched. Again, trying to absorb what had just happened. Before we knew it, my mom and I left for bible study. What will happen? Who did this? How many will die?

During bible study we were told the grave outcome.

The WTC Towers were no more.
The Pentagon was hit.
United Flight 93 was down somewhere in Pennsylvania.

As I recall these memories I am reminded how we unified. Became strong. Prayed. President Bush declared “They will all hear you!!!” We were strong! We went to God for help.

Times have changed. The unity subsided. The prayer meetings ceased. Everyone is complaining about gas prices and whether we should or shouldn’t be in Iraq. Opinions are flying every which way. Our country has allowed more smut and sin to plague our minds. God has been pushed aside. We are more concerned about seeing Suri Cruise than the state of our nation.

I admit during critical times I search for God more. Asking for help. Seeking His will. I am guilty of pushing Him aside when everything is good and I have no worries. Is that how we maintain relationships here on Earth? Of course not! We are to seek His face every day. Every minute. Always reflecting and worshipping Him in all that we say and do.

“Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14

To share your story and read others, please visit
Rocks in My Dyer