10.30.2006

Our Daddy's Heart

The school year brings more business (pronounced BUSY-NESS not BUSINESS) in our household for more than the reason Matthew is in school. Some of you may not know this, but Steve is a high school principal. When the school year begins not only are we busy with Matthew's activities, but Steve’s schedule becomes jam-packed. From athletic games to choir concerts to a wide variety of meetings, there are some weeks when the boys rarely see him. It is hard trying to please his school's community and be a dedicated father. He is pulled in every direction!

I had to adjust managing many evenings alone with the kids. I do my best with what I have. Seriously, I do not know how wives married to business-traveling husbands do it. At least I know Steve will be home eventually!

There are days/nights when I get frustrated. I feel I cannot depend on anyone. Is it just me making all these decisions? Running the kids to the doctor. Driving them to and from activities. Steve comes home for dinner and is soon out the door to attend a game or PTO meeting. I have to hold the fort on my own. The boys get on my last nerve and I am ready to throw in the towel.


But I know my husband’s heart is at home. When his day is done he wants to be with us. He wants to play with the boys. He is quick to play catch with Matt and allow Mark to climb on his back after a long day at work. I cherish bedtime when it is just Steve and me on the couch and we can talk about our day or veg-out watching TV. Weekend mornings are nice when the whole family ends up in our bed to jump around. Oh how I love that laughter! We know there are no plans or schedules that day -- so nice!!!

I thank God for my husband. My provider. My protector. My best friend and great father!