7.27.2007

Sabbath

[sab-uhth] n. A period of rest and worship

During my blogging break I've had time to reflect and examine my heart as well as rethink my priorities. I enjoy everything about blogging. I've met new friends and it's great to know there are individuals out there battling the same challenges of being a mom. I haven't regretted one day of sharing my heart and spreading the joys about my family. An added bonus is reading about your family’s journeys and ventures in return.

Putting all that aside, I've also realized there is more to my life than blogging. Some days I feel like I am posting just to post. Do any of you feel like you have to keep up with the Blogging Jones? I admit comparing my blog with others. Some have the coolest graphics, while I am still stuck with the usual Blogger template. As I start to work on mine to be as cool as others I know, I close off what’s going on at home, but what I really need to do is turn off my computer and spend time with my boys or tackle needs in this house. I guess the question is: what is coming first? I hate to admit this, but after I put Mark to bed I find myself up here in our office working on frivolous computer stuff and not going straight downstairs to spend time with my hubby. Before I know it it’s almost 10:30pm and I'm ready for bed -- missing the opportunity to spend quality time with my husband. I never want my family to feel second-best and I don’t plan on starting now.

Does this sound familiar? You decide to quickly check emails and then find yourself browsing this or that and before you know it, the bathroom you were supposed to clean is still grimy the next day...and the next...and the next...

Or how about when my kids ask for something and I’ll shout out, “I’ll be right there,” to then have my boys wait another 10 or 15 minutes in order to finish a sentence or edit this one page and then I have to remind my children again, “Coming...” This happened a lot and lately it’s been more frequent.

How many comments did I average today? 5, 10, 20? If this makes or breaks my day, then I need to reevaluate my goals. If my kids are clothed, fed healthy meals, sheltered and happy because they feel loved in this house, then I should be satisfied with that. I never want pride to creep into my life and I was beginning to gloat about my number of comments. Wearing my opinions with a self righteous nose in the air. ICK! When you get all puffed up you have to prepare for the burst to come. Our human opinions will pass, but God’s Word will always remain the same.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.” Hebrews 12:1

Good grief, I am not saying blogging is a sin, but this verse proved something: that I need to prioritize. If blogging is hindering my other duties, then I must obey what God is speaking to my heart. Know that I can be online, but maintain a sense of balance with the whole thing. Use my free time towards something that refreshes my soul and enriches the life of my family. Conviction brings change!

Does this mean I am hanging up the blogging towel for good? No. I will post when thoughts arise. I will visit others when time allows. Again, it’s a game of balance. But as of now I need to step back and breathe. I felt it necessary to open my heart and share with those that have been so faithful to visit here often. You deserve it! I may be absent here and there, but know you are blessed and thought of. Many thanks....