7.02.2006

The Party That Wasn't

Saturday we invited our families over to celebrate Mark's first birthday. That morning we woke up before 6am to Mark crying.

"Ok, something is wrong. Did he poop.......no. He feels hot........I'll take his temperature.......ok, 100.1. Great, what a way to start his big day! What is this rash all over his bottom? Looks like diaper rash........wait, he has red spots on his feet and blister marks on his fingers! He is not taking his bottle well.......what on earth..."

After researching online I figured it out: HAND FOOT MOUTH DISEASE!! So this special day that I planned for abruptly changed. One hour into the party Mark was so cranky that I ended up putting him to bed and he slept for most of his party. Even though it was nice spending time with our families it was not the party we hoped for. Mark never blew out his first candle. He never touches his wrapped gifts. I was left to ask God, "Ok, what am I learning from this circumstance?"

How many times have you made plans when the rug is pulled out from under your feet and you're found on your back? Or you are living day to day in bliss, then *BAM* a situation has slammed you in the face and you're asking yourself, "How on earth will I move on from this?"

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2

No matter what circumstance I face, no matter what news I receive, no matter what sickness my children are battling, I know this...

"And my God will meet all my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippeans 4:19